DUI charges are much more serious than many people believe. In recent decades, lawmakers across the country have implemented serious consequences for a DUI. The increased scrutiny surrounding drunken driving means that the consequences of an arrest could affect your life for many years.
You probably already know that a DUI conviction could lead to:
- Loss of your driving privileges
- Installation of an ignition interlock device
- Loss of your freedom
- Numerous courtroom appearances
- Loss of all or partial income
What you might not know is that a DUI conviction, or even just an arrest, results in many financial expenses as well. Guidance from a professional experienced with DUI defense in Pennsylvania could help mitigate the following expenses.
- Auto towing fees starting at around $50
- Vehicle impoundment fees ranging from $75 to $150 per day
- Traffic fines of $300 or more
- Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition fees ranging from $300 to $1,800
- Alcohol abuse evaluation fees of $35 to $100
- Alcohol education and treatment expenses that could reach $1,000
- Increased vehicle insurance premiums
- Fees of $25 to $75 to restore your driver’s license
While a DUI defense may not make all the above expenses go away, it can minimize these costs to a more manageable level. Best of all, such a defense could keep you out of jail while preserving your reputation among your family, friends and employment colleagues.
Trusting your life to chance and hope is always unwise when facing legal trouble. In today’s environment, it makes much better sense to take a proactive approach to your predicament. Acquiring an effective DUI defense is your first step to take in overcoming your legal problems.